The museum is situated on the 2nd floor of a house built in the second half of the 18th century in the
writer's flat, where Zotshenko lived 4 years -- from 1954 till 1958.
In 1934 there were built two more floors, where the first writers cooperative in the city was
located. Together with Zotshenko Zabolotsky, Kaverin, Kornilov, Pleinikov, Roshdestvensky, Slonimsky,
Stenich, Tomashevsky, Forsh, Svarts and other famous writers lived there.
The museum was opened on the 10th of August 1992 as a branch museum of Dosoevsky Literal Memorial
Museum. Since the 1st of July 1993 it has been the State Literal Memorial Museum of Zotshenko.